Odisha Channel Bureau
Bhubaneswar: Here’s some good news for the parents of the children who are unable to do normal work due to their deformity or disability being blind or orthopedically handicapped or hearing and speech impaired or mentally retarded or with cerebral palsy or with autism or with mental illness or with multiple disabilities.
Odisha government on Thursday decided to the change the norms to cover all people with disability under the Madhu Babu Pension Yojana (MBPY).
The decision was taken at a high level review meeting chaired by Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik.
Earlier, children below 5 years of age were not covered by MBPY. The scheme will now be applicable to all people with disability irrespective of their age.
MBPY has been introduced in the State of Odisha from 2008 by merging the two pension schemes i.e. Old Age Pension and Odisha Disability Pension Schemes.
The amount of pension payable to each pensioner under the scheme shall be of such amount as may be decided by the government from time to time. The rate of pension is Rs. 300 per month per beneficiary up to the age of 79 years and Rs. 500 for 80 years and above.
Apart from people with disability, others shall be eligible for pension under MBPY, if he/she-
- Is of 60 years of age and above
- Or, is a widow (irrespective of age)
- Or, is a leprosy patient with visible signs of deformity (irrespective of age))
- Or, a widow of AIDS patient (irrespective of age and income criteria mentioned under Rule 6 (b) (WP-AIDS) of MBPY Rules, 2008
- Or, an AIDS patient identified by the State/District AIDS Control Society or district AIDS prevention control Unit (DAPCU) (irrespective of income as under Rule 6 (b).
- Or is an unmarried woman above 30 years belonging to a BPL Family or has individual income from all sources not exceeding Rs.24,000 only per annum irrespective of the family income
- Has family income from all sources not exceeding Rs. 24,000- per annum or included on the BPL list (Tahsildar concerned to certify)
- Is a permanent resident/domicile of Odisha
- Has not been convicted of any criminal offence involving moral turpitude
- Is not in receipt of any other pension from the Union Government or the State Government or any organisation aided by either Government