Odisha Channel Bureau Bhubaneswar, Aug 10: Even though the Naveen Patnaik Government attached little importance to the plight of the millions flood affected people, the death toll due to floods in Odisha climbed to 45 on Sunday.State Government said that the number of people affected by the floods had increased to over 32.9 lakh.The situation, however, had started improving gradually with flood water receding in many areas.More than 4.8 lakh people hundreds of villages were still left marooned in the districts of Puri, Jajpur, Jagatsinghpur, Kendrapara, Cuttack and Bhadrak, the Government said in an official statement in the evening.The death toll in floods and heavy rains in different parts of the State climbed to 45, eight more from 37 on Saturday, according to the officials of the State Government’s Revenue and Disaster Management Department.While 15 persons were killed in the first phase of floods that month, the current round of floods in the Mahanadi, Baitarani and many other rivers had claimed 30 lives in several districts.The highest number of 10 deaths was recorded from Bargarh district, while eight deaths were reported from Mayurbhanj and five each were reported from Sambalpur and Bhadrak.Strangely, the State government did not use helicopters to airdrop relief materials to the lakhs of people who were surrounded by flood water for the past several days.The State government did not take any initiative even though Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh had spoken to Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik over the phone several days ago and assured all help from the Centre.Meanwhile, the water level was receding in almost all the flooded rivers and the flood situation was likely to improve over the next few days.
August 10, 2014
- Russians starting to evacuate from occupied Crimea, says Ukrainian intelligence
March 24, 2023, 3:15 pm
- Alvin Bragg may have been asked to delay Trump charges: John Dean
March 24, 2023, 2:58 pm
- Kentucky governor vetoes sweeping GOP transgender measure
March 24, 2023, 2:53 pm
- Gwyneth Paltrow barred from bringing ‘treats’ into court
March 24, 2023, 2:43 pm
- Colorado wife whose husband allegedly poisoned her protein shakes is remembered for 'heroic struggle'
March 24, 2023, 1:29 pm
- Reaction to bronze sculpture of Coretta and Martin Luther King Jr. in Boston hasn't been good – and that's not bad for art that shatters conventions
March 24, 2023, 12:37 pm
- I Had One Of The Biggest Hits Of 1992. Then I Came Out As Omnisexual.
March 24, 2023, 12:30 pm
- South Africa must arrest Vladimir Putin
March 24, 2023, 12:29 pm
- Police involved after Memphis women's basketball player hits Bowling Green foe in handshake line
March 24, 2023, 12:11 pm
- Ron DeSantis Is Asked If He'd Be Donald Trump's Vice President. His Answer Is Telling.
March 24, 2023, 11:45 am