Odisha Channel Bureau Kendrapara: A team of World Bank today visited the sea-erosion-affected pockets in Odisha’s Kendrapara district and inspected the Pentha coast, the site of State’s eco-synthetic seawall project. The four-member team headed by Project technical advisor (World Bank) Michael Hanui on an-one-day visit to the natural-calamity-prone district also assessed the extensive sea erosion trend in the seaside hamlets.“The World Bank would fund the projects reduce vulnerability to cyclone and other hydro-meteorological hazards of coastal communities in Odisha.Comprehensive project to tame the magnitude of sea erosion also stays on our agenda,” said Project technical advisor (World Bank) Michael Hanui.The World Bank panel suggested the expeditious implementation of geo-synthetic tube seawall project in sea-erosion-hit Pentha coast.Pentha coast under Brahmansahi gram panchayat under Rajnagar Tehsil of Kendrapara district is being constantly battered by marauding sea waves, prompting the state government to install geo-synthetic buffer on the embankment to arrest sea erosion.Over a dozen thickly populated human settlements are still lying thoroughly exposed following massive erosion along the coastline.It’s pertinent to note here that construction work of Odisha’s first geo-tube seawall project was suspended midway in July last following alleged lopsided installation of synthetic tube.The Rs.31.4 crore worth seawall project was scheduled for completion by July, 2015.However, deadline for completion of the project has now been rescheduled to January, 2016, concluded officials. The panel was also apprised of the devastation wrought by marauding sea in Satabhaya coast of the district.Measures to tame sea erosion in vulnerable pockets of the coastal district were also deliberated during the World Bank panel’s visit, said Jugal Kishore Tripathy, Executive Engineer, Saline Embankment Division.
September 21, 2015
- Who Killed Peter Kovach and Ted Gould?
April 2, 2023, 3:00 am
- Baseball phenom, 13, dies by suicide. He came home from school, left video: 'I hate my life'
April 2, 2023, 1:42 am
- Arizona governor must appear in court on pause of executions
April 1, 2023, 9:55 pm
- Scuffle at pro-Trump rally in Huntington Beach leaves 2 injured
April 1, 2023, 9:33 pm
- Kaley Cuoco welcomes 1st child with Tom Pelphrey and reveals daughter's name
April 1, 2023, 9:29 pm
- Kvitova upends Rybakina for women's Miami Open title
April 1, 2023, 9:07 pm
- St. Petersburg police find body of missing Florida boy, 2, in mouth of an alligator
April 1, 2023, 7:59 pm
- Staley defends players again; Iowa coach says no ill intent
April 1, 2023, 7:36 pm
- A wild iguana in Costa Rica bit a little girl as it tried to steal her piece of cake. Now, doctors say she has developed a rare bacterial infection.
April 1, 2023, 7:16 pm
- Russia will never recover from this devastating collapse
April 1, 2023, 6:00 pm