Jajpur: A snake bite woman patient of Bari block in Odisha’s Jajpur district was carried to hospital in a cooking tope on Tuesday, family members of the victim said.
As the entire area has been badly affected by flood, some residents of Ratnagiri Routasahi village took the 45-year-old woman, identified as Manjulata Das, to the local hospital in a cooking tope on Tuesday wading through chest-deep water to cover a distance of three km to get her medical help.
Flash flood has inundated their areas. A poisonous snake today bit Manjulata as her house has been marooned along with the entire village. The villagers had dialed emergency services to take the woman to the hospital, but the service could not be availed as the areas have been waterlogged due to the flood in Brahmani and Kharasrota rivers.
With no option left, the villagers of Routasahi decided to carry the woman patient to the hospital. Accordingly, some villagers took the woman in a big cooking tope to reach the nearest Gopalpur primary health centre.
“We tried a lot for the emergency service, but in vain. With no option left, we decided to carry the woman to the hospital through wading chest deep water to save her life,” said Rabindra Das, a villager.
The doctor at Gopalpur primary health centre gave her first aid treatment.
Later, she was shifted to SCB Medical College and Hospital in Cuttack after her condition deteriorated, sources said.