Odisha Channel Bureau Kendrapara, July 15: Tidal waves smashed several coastal pockets since past 48 hours triggering breaches in coastal embankments and leading to submergence of vast tracts of agriculture fields in Rajnagar tehsil of Odisha’s Kendrapara district. Tidal waves have also wrought havoc in vulnerable in Satabhaya, Kanhupur and Rabindrapalli villages, according to reports received from far flung villages on Tuesday.Massive sea erosion threatened these human settlements and government was implementing a project to rehabilitate the erosion hit villagers. Reports reaching here indicated that over 2000 hectares of agriculture fields in were submerged with tidal waves making inroads while spilling over the saline embankment buffer erected about 20 feet above the coast.Besides, the maintenance of the coastal embankment here is left much to be desired.There has been generous flow of funds.But the same is being largely siphoned off to compound people’s misery, allege villagers.The sluice gates erected at strategic embankments points were left wide open and that led to the unabated ingress of tidal waves into the human settlements, charged locals.Tidal ingress has triggered breach in Rajnagar-Gopalpur, Keredagada-Alatanga, and Mahua-Jagannathpur saline embankments.Work was in progress on war footing to plug the breaches, said government officials.
July 15, 2014
- Dawn Staley calls out national media, Lisa Bluder's 'bar fight' comments after Final Four loss
April 1, 2023, 3:11 pm
- Shaq called! Michigan teen with size 23 feet surprised by NBA legend after sharing shoe story
April 1, 2023, 3:07 pm
- Mar-a-Lago events suspended as Trump huddles with ‘shaken’ advisers
April 1, 2023, 2:38 pm
- I was a nun for 2 decades before leaving the convent to be with a woman. I stood up to the church for our right to marry.
April 1, 2023, 12:55 pm
- My Dying Mom Chose To End Her Life With Dignity. Then Her Choice Was Stolen From Her.
April 1, 2023, 12:30 pm
- Alaska Native Scouts feted 67 years after rescuing Navy crew
April 1, 2023, 12:18 pm
- The ancient discovery made on the Miami River is so significant it could derail development
April 1, 2023, 9:30 am
- A video shows Ukrainian marines destroying a column of Russian tanks with US-made Javelin missiles
April 1, 2023, 9:01 am
- Jimmy Fallon Buries His Head In His Hands Over New Donald Trump Gaffe
April 1, 2023, 8:54 am
- Maggie Haberman Reveals How Trump Org Employees Celebrated Trump Indictment
April 1, 2023, 6:28 am