Odisha Channel Bureau Bhubaneswar, Nov 28: People’s movements defending land, water, environment, livelihood, and democratic rights are coming together to organise a national convention in defence of democracy at Dhinkia in Jagatsinghpur district of Odisha on November 29 and 30 in the context of burgeoning onslaughts under the new government at the Centre.Dhinkia has been the nerve centre of the anti-POSCO agitation since June 2005 when Government of Odisha and South Korean steel maker POSCO had signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) for establishment of a mega steel plant in Dhinkia area.The national convention is being organised by more than 150 people’s movements in the country those are fighting against the loot of natural resources by corporate houses.Around 500 delegates from different parts of the country will attend the two-day event and share their views regarding the present challenges before them and will chalk out their future course of action.The convention will oppose the proposed dilution of land acquisition, environment and labour laws and demand withdrawal of laws like Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act (AFSPA) and Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act (UAPA).Apart from various other people’s movement, the people’s movements of Odisha that are co-organisers of the convention include POSCO Pratirodh Sangram Samiti, Kalahandi Sachetan Nagrik Manch, Niyamgiri Surksha Samiti, Odisha Soochana Adhikar Manch, Janamukti Sangharsh Vahini, Jatadhar Bachao Andolan, Samajwadi Jan Parishad, Odisha Asangthit Shramik Sangh, Adivasi Dalit Vikas Samiti, Nabarangpur Nagrik Manch, Lok Sakti Abhiyan, Kaling Nagar Visthapan Virodhi Jan Manch, Paschim Odisha Krushak Sangathan, Zindabad Sangathan, Lower Suktel Budi Anchal Sangram Parishad, Sahara Powar Plant Birodhi Manch, Lower Indra Visthapit Sahayata Samiti, Santha Bhima Bhoi Krushak Sangharsh Samiti, Pira Jaharian Bhitta Mati Suraksha Manch, Ambedkar Dalit Adhikar Manch, and Lower Suktel Nagrik Sangh.
November 28, 2014
- China's Xi Jinping praises Vladimir Putin during visit to Russia
March 20, 2023, 8:51 pm
- Arnold Schwarzenegger shared 2 weight-loss hacks, including the soup he has for dinner every night
March 20, 2023, 8:20 pm
- Photos: Iraq war’s 20th anniversary — the advance from Kuwait to the occupation of Baghdad
March 20, 2023, 8:17 pm
- Gadfly Reporter Throws White House Presser Into Chaos With Over-the-Top Tantrum
March 20, 2023, 8:14 pm
- Wyoming bans transgender youth from girls' sports teams
March 20, 2023, 8:13 pm
- Bad Bunny's ex-girlfriend files lawsuit seeking $40M
March 20, 2023, 8:12 pm
- A TikToker said she walked out on a date who was too cheap to spend $3 on cheese for his burger. That wasn't the whole story.
March 20, 2023, 7:12 pm
- Trump hits back at DeSantis following 'porn star' comments, warns the governor could find himself facing 'false accusations' in the future from 'underage' classmates or 'a man'
March 20, 2023, 6:58 pm
- Police: Dentist killed wife by lacing shakes with poison
March 20, 2023, 6:56 pm
- Florida cops on night patrol saw an unlit car parked in a cul-de-sac. It was occupied
March 20, 2023, 6:55 pm